Colcannon Potatoes Recipe:
Colcannon Potatoes Recipe is another excellent mashed potato variation, this one is based on the Irish Colcannon recipe and is traditionally served in the form of a fluffy pile with a well of melted butter in the middle.
Being a traditional potato and cabbage dish, every Irish family has its own recipe for colcannon. On my St. Patrick’s Day menu, it is served with lamb chops, carrots, and soda bread. Marilou Robinson from Portland, Oregon.
- 1 medium head of shredded cabbage, weighing around 2 pounds.
- 8 medium potatoes weighing 4 pounds, quartered and peeled
- two mugs of whole milk
- Green onions, cut into a cup
- Salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 0.5 teaspoons of pepper
- 14 cup melted butter
- fresh parsley minced
- fried bacon in pieces
Directions to prepare Colcannon Potatoes:
- In a big pot, add the cabbage and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Drain, saving the cooking liquid, and keep the cabbage warm in a different dish.
- Combine potatoes and cooking liquid that has been saved in the same pan. Bring to a boil with additional water added to cover the potatoes. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. In the meantime, in a small saucepan, combine milk, green onions, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat.
- Potatoes should be drained, then mashed in a big bowl. Stir in the cabbage. Butter should be drizzled over the dish before adding bacon and parsley.
Dan Dan Noodles
TIPS FOR COLCANNON:
In place of cabbage, what other greens are available?
You may easily swap out cabbage for any heartier green you have on hand. We advise using curly kale or savoy cabbage, a more robust, crinkled green vegetable. Extra hearty greens still available? Here are some more ideas for how to put that cabbage to use!
JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN WINGS GRILLED
What kind of potatoes are best for colcannon?
Select a potato that falls under the category of “floury” for the ideal colcannon. They ought to yield a fluffier mash by having more starch and less water. Your preferred potato in this situation will be an Idaho or a Russet variety. Learn how to use several potato varieties in a variety of recipes by reading our guide.
What can you serve with colcannon potatoes?
Pair this with the traditional Irish bangers made of pork to get the full effect. Colcannon is a flavor-packed alternative to a mash that works great! This dish also serves as a wonderful foundation for our mouthwatering Irish meat stew.
Pingback: Spanish Paella Valenciana Recipe - DramaCool