Easy Dakdoritang (Spicy Korean Chicken Stew):
The chicken, potatoes, and carrots in this simple Easy Dakdoritang (Spicy Korean Chicken Stew) are simmered in a hot and sour chili sauce. The best way to mix up your dinner routine is to serve this Korean chicken stew over a bowl of rice. It is wonderfully cozy and simple to prepare.
Chicken and vegetables are simmered in a spicy, flavorful, and somewhat sweet chili sauce in the traditional Korean dish known as Dakdoritang, also known as Dakbokkeumtang.
The outcome is a Korean chicken stew that is packed with flavorful chicken, potatoes, and carrots that are covered in an absolutely delectable sauce.
In addition, the melt-in-your-mouth potatoes topped with a spicy sauce and served over a bowl of steamed rice are the definition of comfort food. There is really nothing more restorative.
Even though it has potent flavors, this Korean spicy chicken stew is one of the simplest chicken recipes you can prepare at home. It has a straightforward procedure and only requires basic ingredients that are frequently found in kitchens.
My mother used to prepare dakdoritang for me on important occasions, such as my birthday, because she knew how much I loved it. It is one of my greatest childhood memories.
- 2 lb chicken cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion cut into chunks
- 3 (500g) potatoes cut into chunks
- 1/4 (100g) carrot cut into chunks
- 2 1/2 cups water anchovy stock
- 2 each green onion and chili pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp Gochugaru or to taste
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey or sugar
- 3 tbsp Gochujang
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Prepare the vegetables while you combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and onion in a big pot over medium heat. Cook for two minutes after coating. Stir in the stock or water before adding it.
Korean Spicy Noodles
- Stirring occasionally, cook with a lid on for approximately 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, stir in the potatoes and carrots, cover the pot, and simmer for an additional 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Serve with a dish of steaming rice and garnish with green onion and chile pepper.
I suggest avoiding the Gochugaru in your sauce and lowering the amount of chili pepper near the end if you have a lesser tolerance for spicy.
In an airtight container, any leftover stew can be kept in the refrigerator for three to four days. Place the food in a pot, bring to a boil, or heat on high for 3 minutes, or until well heated.
Mayak Eggs Recipe (Korean Marinated Eggs)
Rice water: In traditional Korean cooking, rice water use to prepare soups and stews to enhance flavor and make the broth richer and smoother.
The water is collected after your rice has been rinsed a second or third time. I suggest setting some of this aside when making the rice for the stew. Although normal water works just as well, rice water will help the flavors stand out even more.
Your second or third round of rinsing your rice is where the water is collected. I advise setting some of this aside when making the rice for the stew. Rice water will let the flavors stand out even more than ordinary water, which is also an option.