Korean Beef Short Rib Soup – Galbitang
My favorite soup as a child was Korean Beef Short Rib Soup (Galbitang), which was delectably rich and incredibly filling. It was a particularly joyful day when there was beef short rib soup for dinner because we were a family of seven and beef was very expensive at the time (it still is in Korea now).
Instant Pot Thai Basil Fried Rice Recipe
It was probably someone’s birthday or because we had received the beef short ribs as a gift for Chuseok or New Year’s when we had galbitang or beef short rib soup. The entire house will finally be filled with the delightful and delectable aroma of beef soup since Korean Beef Short Rib Soup must be prepared for several hours. I can vividly recall how happy I was throughout.
- 1.5 lb beef short ribs
- 10 Cup water
- 4 green onions
- 2 green onions
- Two green onions
- 2 thick slices of ginger
- 3 dried or fresh green onion roots
- 1/2 medium size radish
- 2 T chopped garlic
- 1 T guk ganjang
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- If the ribs have not been cut already, cut them into separate pieces. If not, slice through each rib bone to create the single short rib pieces shown below. Since short ribs have a lot of fat, you should also cut off any extra.
- To remove blood from the meat, soak short ribs in cold water. For one hour, soak. You can quickly boil it, drain the liquid, and then boil it once again while adding fresh water if you don’t want to wait.
- Prepare a single, entire, unpeeled yellow onion.
- Wash whole green onions, green onion roots, and ginger (optional).
- 10 cups of water, ribs, ginger, green onions, onion, and green onion roots should all be added to a large stockpot before it is brought to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium after it begins to boil, then skim off any brownish foam that forms on top. You must do this if you want clear soup. You can also remove fat using it. Here is how much I had after skimming the soup’s foam three or four times. You can utilize the “leave overnight at cold temperature and let the fat firm” technique to skim off even more fat. For details, see my Galbijjim post.
- Add radish slices after one hour of boiling.
Fish-shaped Korean bread with sweet red bean filling
- SIMMER with radish for a further 20 minutes.
- The soup is almost done. A rib should be so sensitive it might fall off the bone.
- Throw away all aromatics.
- Sea salt, guk ganjang, and minced garlic are used to season soup. Taste. Since seasoning may always be changed to a person’s preference, I would season on the light side. REMIND for another ten minutes.
- Black pepper and freshly chopped green onions should be added to the soup before serving. Naturally, with a dish of rice. Enjoy!!!