Persian Saffron Rice
Persian Saffron rice baked, also known as tachin or tahchin, is fluffy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.Using ordinary rice, an incredible side dish was created! It has enough flavor to be eaten simple, but it also goes well with even intensely spicy main dishes. That crust is incredible. I did not invent this Persian saffron rice. Tachin is the name of a genuine Persian food.
You’ll discover dishes that frequently layer it with some chicken or other protein-rich vegetables. But since I’m using it as a side dish for my Persian cuisine, I decided to keep it simple. Tachin certainly isn’t plain in any way!
Mushroom noodle recipe
Tachin, which is also known as Tahchin, is frequently seen in recipes that call for stovetop cooking. However, after multiple attempts, I can say without a doubt that using an oven is much safer and easier. When you flip something over on a stovetop, there is a significant risk of breaking it since you can’t see when the base is the correct shade of golden brown and because it’s really more difficult to achieve gorgeous even cooking.
SAFFRON RICE WITH YOGURT MIXTURE
I swear, despite the table’s abundance of brilliant hues and textures, all I can think about is the saffron rice! Not to minimize the other food on the table because it’s all quite delicious. However, I have a special fondness for the rice because it is one of those dishes that appears fancy but is really simple.
The secret ingredient in this dish is a yogurt-egg-oil-saffron concoction that is combined with par-cooked rice, then piled with barberries in a pie dish and baked until the top is golden brown. Farmers Union Greek Yogurt is the brand of yogurt I use. It’s the yogurt I’ve always used for dolloping/dipping and all of my cooking, both savory and sweet.
▢2 cups / 360g basmati rice
▢1 tbsp salt
▢3 liters / 3 quarts water
▢1/2 cup dried barberries
▢2 tbsp / 30g unsalted butter
▢1 1/2 tsp rose water (optional)
▢1 tsp saffron threads (Note 3)
▢2 tbsp warm water
▢1 cup / 250 g plain yogurt
▢1/2 cup / 125 ml oil
▢3 egg yolks
▢3/4 tsp salt
- Heat water in a sizable saucepan to a rolling boil. Rice and salt are added. Cook for 5 minutes after bringing to a boil again. After draining, let the area steam dry for 5 minutes.
- Put butter in a small pan and heat it up. Barberries should cook for around 1 1/2 minutes or until they swell up (see the video!).
- Remove from heat (they will immediately shrivel), and then stir in rose water.
RICE WITH SAFFER:
- Oven temperature should be set to 180°C or 200°C (standard) (fan).
- Apply a thin layer of oil to a glass pie plate.
- Saffron that has been powdered (optional step). Ten minutes should pass while the water seeps in.
- In a big dish, combine yogurt, egg, oil, salt, and saffron water.
- Rice should be added, then thoroughly mixed.
- Pour half of the rice into the pie plate, smoothing the top. Sprinkle 1/3 of the barberries on top.
- Sprinkle another third of the barberries on top of the remaining rice, level the surface, and cover. Firmly press down and foil over.
- Bake for 60 to 80 minutes, or until the crust is evenly deep golden.
- Take ten minutes to relax. Remove the foil. Due to the oil, the serving plate won’t stick when placed on the pie dish; view the video for more information.
- Then, serve, scatter the remaining barberries around the surface.
- Long grain or jasmine rice are acceptable alternatives.
- A Persian food item available in ethnic and specialty shops. delivers wonderful color pops and a tart flavor. You might use 1 cup of dried sour cherries, cranberries, or craisins in its place.
Mango Chili Chicken Recipe
- Can be replaced with 1/16 teaspoon of cheap saffron powder. Basically, if the cost of saffron powder is comparable to that of other spices, it means that it is not 100% saffron (saffron is the most expensive spice in the world). Powdering is not necessary. Although you can see little saffron threads (which is lovely! ), I did it without grinding and didn’t see a difference in the color overall.
- Slightly modified from Bon Appetit’s Crunchy Baked Saffron Rice.