Shirine Polo, also known as “sweet rice,” is a traditional Persian dish that is typically made with long-grain rice, sugar, butter, and various spices such as saffron and cinnamon. It’s a sweet, fragrant and delicious dish that is perfect for special occasions.
Shirine Polo is a delicious and fragrant dish that is perfect for special occasions. The combination of sweet and savory flavors, along with the fluffy texture of the rice, make it a dish that is sure to please. It’s a great way to add some sweetness to your meal and enjoy the taste of Persian cuisine. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, for garnish
- 1/4 cup raisins, for garnish
- Put the rice in cold water. Soak the rice in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the soaked rice, sugar, butter, salt, saffron, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let the rice simmer for about 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove the pot from heat, and let it sit for about 10 minutes to allow the rice to steam and absorb any remaining liquid.
Spicy Middle Eastern Rice Recipe
- Fluff the rice with a fork and transfer it to a serving platter.
- Garnish the top of the rice with slivered almonds and raisins.
- Shirine Polo can be served as a side dish or a dessert.
- You can add more butter or sugar if you prefer it sweeter.
- You can add more spices like cardamom, saffron or cinnamon to enhance the flavor.
- You can also add some chopped pistachios, cashews or hazelnuts for additional texture and flavor.
- You can also add some orange zest or rosewater for extra aroma.